Thursday, May 5, 2011

Los Angeles, CA: Art In The Streets - MOCA 2011 (Museum of Contemporary Art)

Art in the Streets is a retrospective collective of graffiti art in America in the 20th century. It depicts it's stronghold on the community and displays the influence of popular culture through this medium and it's affect on the world around us.
I, personally, feel lucky to have lived in NYC in the mid 80's experiencing this movement firsthand, though I didn't understand or appreciate it for what it is today. Nonetheless, graffiti is ingrained in my memory when thinking back to those early times in Brooklyn and Manhattan when the city was my stomping ground. I'm proud to be able to say, "I knew it when,....." I was living on the cusp and didn't even realize it.

Check out Art in the Streets at MOCA in downtown Los Angeles, April 17-August 8, 2011. It's a great way to spend an afternoon.







An exhibit worth seeing.....


1 comment:

  1. I remember being in NYC in the mid 80's. We got on the subway, and were riding for a few minutes. I kept saying something is different about the car. It finally hit me, we were in a car with NO graffiti at all. Seems they came up with cars that spray paint didn't stick to.

    ReplyDelete